Monday, May 7, 2012

Choice 4, Week 15: My reflections


                At the beginning of the semester I wrote that I didn’t really think of myself as a writer but that has changed after taking this course. Before, I saw writing as something that I wanted to do; I thought I had to have a degree in order to take on that role. I didn’t see that even with a degree, I wouldn’t be writer unless I wrote and that I don’t need one to do that.

                I wasn’t confident in my writing, didn’t think I had the skills to transform a boring situation into something special. I shot myself down before I tried and this class has forced me to step out of my comfort zone, setting me up for either success or failure. I found out it not only came easily to me, but I enjoyed it more than I anticipated and I now believe I have what it takes to actually make a career out of something I love.

                Of course, I know it will be difficult. Most writers struggle to make a living and it may never happen for me. I know this, but I want to try anyways. I am going to apply to San Diego State University school of Journalism to finish my degree where I will be given a variety of internship opportunities that will hopefully turn into a job after graduation. I want to insert myself into an environment where there are jobs to make my goals possible and can’t think of a better place to fit my personality than southern California.

                I am so happy I took this course and tried out a type of writing I’d never done before. I was nervous, unsure if I was comfortable sharing so much about myself. Journalism is appealing to me because it is unbiased (sometimes) and impersonal. You share important information about other people, the focus is never on you. I love research and technical writing, weird I know, but it has always come easily to me. There is a format, a layout, a right and wrong way to do it. There is less room for failure and when criticized, it stings less because you probably didn’t put your heart and soul into it. It wasn’t you. I’ve learned it is more rewarding to take risks and the sense of accomplishment after finishing a piece that challenged me is much greater. Not to mention more fun.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy and pleased it was a good course for you. Always fun for me when there's something I can actually do top help a writer who already arrives with all the tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! I think I'm going to miss reading your comments every week :)

    ReplyDelete