Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Prompt Week Eight: The things I pass on the street that are like Heaven to me...

                When the last clumps of snow finally melt and pale green buds appear on the trees that line the street there’s nothing better in the world than taking a walk. My wool winter jacket stays in the closet and for the first time in months, I can go outside without the restrictions of layers, unflattering hats, and gloves. The freedom to move comfortably is welcome and the new life around me ignites excitement for the coming months.

                With the sun shining in the sky, children play in their front lawns. They chase cats that have been pent up in the house all winter. They scream to each other as they ride their rusty bikes up and down the sidewalk. Games of basketball are underway as neighborhood teens brush up on their skills. The smell of burgers cooking on the grill wafts through the air and families work in their yards, preparing them for summer.

                Couples walk their dogs at a slow, leisurely pace, much different than the hurried walks of the winter when it’s too cold to enjoy the outdoors. Chattering and laughing, they smile as I walk by and the happiness that comes with spring has arrived. Everything has slowed down, the neighborhood has taken the day to enjoy the gifts of nature and the scene sets the tone of a safer, simpler time when children freely played outside instead of staring at the television screen and people said hello when they passed strangers on the street.

4 comments:

  1. A little too hypothetical for my taste--we did have a spring day last week but this material reads more like an ideal of a spring day or at least a memory of a spring day more than an actual rendering of a spring day you recently experienced.

    I mean, not to be crude, but last week on that one beautiful day, the detail that kept jumping out at me as I wandered around my yard was that after six months of six dogs pooping in the snow, the bill had finally come due.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA should I have written about dog poop? You're right, I didn't really like this one either, it is very cliche, and it's funny because when I posted it I knew it wouldn't be your favorite. I'm getting a good feel for what your comments might be like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you can guess my comments, don't write to please me. If you want to do something you think I'll hate, write me a note telling me that you like it, I'll hate it, but that you don't intend to rewrite. I will accept that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, yes, generally dog poop is the real go-to topic for me.

    ReplyDelete