Saturday, March 10, 2012

Prompt Week Seven: When You Look at a Photograph You See...

                When my little brother Jesse was a baby, his favorite place to be was in his walker. He’d sit in the cloth seat and clap his tiny hands against the white, plastic tray in front of him. Then he’d run across the floor and crash into everything; the refrigerater, doorframes, the coffee table. Eventually he’d wear his chubby legs out and just sit in the chair and stare off into space, his brown eyes bright as they looked at nothing.

                Jesse had a large head; in his first year of life the doctor measured his head as being larger than 99% of infants his age. He was also bald. Sitting in his walking chair, Jesse looked like a real live bobble head bouncing around the house. When he was deep in thought, he would suck in his lower lip and puff out his rosy cheeks. I’d laugh so hard when he made that face and he quickly caught on and began to do it all the time, showing off.  When I laughed, he’d giggle and pound his fists on the tray or throw his brightly colored sippy cups on the floor which only made me laugh harder. To this day, I have never seen anything cuter than my baby brother when he made his alien face and though there are pictures, I’d love to turn back time thirteen years and see him do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Very much the same comment I just made on the piece about your grandmother, with the addition here of very strong visuals--we can picture baby Jesse very clearly!

    ReplyDelete