Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Theme Week 12: Risks, juxtapostion, and humor


                A simple question: what’s your favorite color? I hadn’t been asked that since I was a kid, had to think for a minute. “Yellow. Or green.” I pause. “I wear mostly black though.” I feel like a liar, like I’m making something up about myself. Yellow is pretty, the color of sun and happiness. Beautiful, but if you walked into my house or peeked inside of my closet, you wouldn’t know the color even existed. Green is calm, my favorite color for home décor. But black is a staple of my wardrobe, my favorite nail polish color, and the right amount of coal eyeliner makes my eyes look amazing. It should be the winner hands down but only comes as an afterthought.

                Favorite movie? My mind goes blank and once again, I don’t know what to say. Gone with the Wind is a classic, I loved watching it with my grandmother as a child; she knew every word by heart. The Notebook made me cry every time, a great love story. I must have watched Rent fifty times; I can sing along to every song. Garden State is cute, Natalie Portman did a great job and Zach Braff wrote a surprisingly clever script. The soundtrack is first-class.  The holidays wouldn’t be complete without watching the original Miracle on 34th Street. And how can I forget Almost Famous? That scene when everybody is singing “Tiny Dancer” on the bus has to make it a contender.

                TV Show? Beverly Hills 90210, of course. I DVR it every day. Love it even though I’ve seen every episode already. Or maybe Weeds. After all, I subscribe to Showtime just so I can watch it. That’s gotta  mean something….And how can I forget my guilty pleasure, Keeping up with the Kardashians? Every Sunday night, we have a date. Friends makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it, no matter how many times I’ve seen Ross and Rachel get together and break up then get together and break up... Certainly the best comedy ever, although the new show Two Broke Girls is hilarious too... The Food Network never disappoints either, no matter how many episodes of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives I watch. I don’t know.

                Let’s talk about food. I love to eat, love how it brings people together. So what’s one food I can’t live without? Without a doubt, it’s nachos. Nachos covered in gooey cheese, refried beans, fresh salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. But I’m totally addicted to buffalo wings dipped in Marie’s super blue cheese dressing, I’m not sure I could give those up. And then there are these tomatoes I make. I bake them in olive oil with fresh garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar at 250 for three hours. On a nice piece of ciabatta, they are perfect.

                Here’s a question I know the answer to. If I could go anywhere in the world, where would it be? Italy, of course. Good food, good wine, beautiful architecture. History. Although Australia seems so beautiful, so many cool animals, great accents, sun. I’ve always wanted to go to Vancouver too, every picture I’ve seen looks like heaven and it is my personal experience that Canadians are outgoing and open. The Swiss Alps, Nice, Paris, Russia. Well, I thought I knew…

2 comments:

  1. Sure, absolutely, week 13.

    What's so funny about this IMO is that, although I'm sure every word is true, somehow you magically make it all sound totally bogus and made up. Part of me doesn't believe a word of it, part of me accepts it completely--and that is one definition of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Week 12, I meant! See how crazy this piece made me!

    ReplyDelete