Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Prompt Week Four: The Truth Stings

He drank the mystic purple drink in one gulp and slammed the glass down on the table. Looking at me, his lips puckered slightly, the drink's sourness shocking his taste buds as the warm liquid flowed down his throat and past his heart. The scowl on his face was hidden behind his beard but betrayed by the flat, icy look in his blue eyes. He opened his mouth and the words tumbled out, each one hurting more than a thousand bee stings in the eye. He laid it out his frustration, didn’t hold back.  “I told you from the beginning I never wanted to get married. I tell you the truth but you constantly accuse me of lying. You think you can change me; it’s all you’ve ever wanted to do. Honey, I can’t be changed. The worst part is, you don’t love who I am, you love who you want me to be. The idea of me but not me. Knowing that, it’s a shitty feeling. You ask why I don’t come home? You whine and bitch that we don’t spend enough ‘quality time’ together but when we’re together, all we do is argue. We spend more time talking about the relationship than actually having one. We talk about you, what you want, what you need me to change so you can be happy. What if changing doesn’t make me happy? What if these changes you want make me miserable? I’m sure that doesn’t matter to you as long as you get what you want. I have to tell you right now, and I’ll only say it once. I can’t do this anymore. I’m not in love with you anymore and at this point, I don’t know if I ever loved you at all. You know when I admitted that to myself? The second I accepted that you aren’t in love with me.” His eyes never wavering in their steadfast stare, he poured himself another drink, its purple hews more stunning than the setting sun.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty harsh, pretty true-to-life sounding--it reminds me of the dynamic in the relationships on the tv show I'm watching now: 'Life Unexpected.'

    ReplyDelete