Sunday, February 19, 2012

Week Five Prompt: The Beginning of a Journey

                “Card number please?”

                “4496 7712 8269 7872.”

                “Expiration date?”

                “January, 2013.”

                “You’re all set Ms. Cox. Please arrive at the airport at least two hours early to allow yourself enough time to go through security. As always, thank you for choosing Jet Blue.”

                I hung up the phone, shocked at what I had just done. In one second, my life changed and in three days I would be flying away from rocky beaches, fresh seafood, and aromatic pine trees to the landlocked mountains of Colorado. I’d be flying away from the pain and bad memories embedded in the walls of my apartment. I’d have a clean slate and more importantly, I could finally forget everything I’d lost. An icicle crashed to the ground outside the drafty window, its fragile beauty shattered as it hit the unforgiving frozen dirt. I stared at the black screen of the television and wondered why I wasn’t excited to leave.

                Panicking, I realized I hadn’t thought this plan through. There wasn’t a plan. I didn’t know what I was going to do with my cat, my furniture, or money. I was signed up for classes that were starting in a week, I had a job. The impulsivity of my decision scared me almost as much as moving two thousand miles away but as a scared as I was, I knew I couldn’t stay.

1 comment:

  1. I like very much that ending on an indeterminate note, and you will see why when we hit week 8. I also like that kind of jump-right-in opening--and BTW your credit card number works fine. I'm ordering some overnight steaks from the midwest @ over $100 a pound and also a Tiffany bauble for my wife. Thx!

    ReplyDelete