Sunday, February 5, 2012

Prompt Week Three: A Conversation

                When I walked into work on Superbowl Sunday I was prepared for a chaotic evening. What I wasn’t prepared for was a person calling in sick and a hung over manager, who used his authority to pawn his work onto his frazzled minions. The phones were ringing off the hook at Papa Gambino’s as excited Patriots fans prepared for the most anticipated game of the year.

                “Papa Gambino’s on State Street, is this going to be pick up or delivery?” I asked.

                “How long is the wait?” a young girl asked me.

                “Right now, it’s going to be about forty-five minutes,” I answered.

                “Usually it’s only like twenty minutes.”

                “I’m sorry, we’re really busy because of the game,” I answered, irritated.

                “Well I don't know if I want to wait that long. Do you have any special deals today?” the girl asked.

                “Just the normal pick-up deals. You can get four one-topping small pizzas and a two-liter of soda for only $14.99, the Hungry Man Special which is….”

                “I KNOW what it is,” she interrupted, snottily. “I meant, do you have any other special deals for the game. Like wings or something.”

                “No, we don’t. We don’t have wings. Ever,” I answered sweetly to cover up my impatience.

                “I’ll call you back,” she said and hung up the phone.

                I placed the phone back in its cradle and turned to help the smiling woman who had just walked through the door. “Do you have an order in?” I asked and before the woman could answer the phone rang again.

                “Sam, will you grab the phone?” the manager called out.

                I smiled apologetically at the patient customer. “I’ll be right with you,” I promised. “Papa Gambino’s on State Street, will this be pickup or delivery?”

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful quick snapshot of the scene, sitation, and conversation.

    Maybe this is just my prejudice or a classic teacher pet peeve, but IMO every adverb you use to describe the conversation verbs ought to go: snottily, sweetly, etc.

    ReplyDelete