Monday, February 13, 2012

Theme Week Four, Part Three: Fiction

It was 6:30 on Saturday night when I heard Ryan’s silver Mercedes pull into the drive. “Sshhhh everyone! He’s here! Hide!!” It was Ryan’s birthday and he had no idea what he was walking into. Not one for surprises, I wasn’t sure how he was going to react, but I wasn’t too worried; what I had planned would negate any negative feelings he had towards surprises. There was no way he could stay mad.

Friends and family crouched behind the leather couches and chairs; they stood behind the silk drapes, ready to jump out the second he walked through the door. In the quiet room, the sound of his key unlocking the deadbolt was loud as we all held our breath for his entry. He flicked the lights on and the look of shock on his face as everyone yelled “Surprise!!!” was priceless. I rushed over to him and gave him a light kiss. “Happy Birthday, Babe. I know you don’t like surprises, but I promise you, you’re going to loooove this one!” His face was flushed from embarrassment as he shrugged his overcoat off and hung it on the coatrack in the entryway.

                “It better be…” he muttered to me under his breath, putting a grin on his face for his guests. “Hey Mom!” he said, bending over to embrace his mother, Becky. His tall frame enveloped her small stature and he walked her over to say hello to his father and grandparents.

                Guests snacked on bacon-wrapped scallops and devoured the coconut shrimp while listening to the folk guitarist play. Wine glasses were raised to the man of the hour and he graciously thanked everyone for coming to his birthday. Everything went smoothly; people were laughing as they reminisced about old times. I felt a tap on my shoulder and Elise, my party planner, grinned. “It’s time,” she sang and butterflies filled my stomach.

                I slowly walked to the front of the room where the musician was playing and motioned for him to stop.  My hands shaking from excitement, I picked up the microphone and said, “Okay everyone! If you would all take a seat at the table, dinner will be served! I want to take this time to say a few words about my husband. I know I don’t have to stand up here and rave to you about how great he is; if you’re here, you already know how intelligent, creative, and kind he is. I will say, I am lucky to be married to this man because every day I feel loved, like a princess. I love you, honey. I wanted to do something special for you so…..tonight, dinner is more than a meal. It is a work of art, an inspiration created by the one and only Guy Fieti!”

                Everyone clapped and Ryan’s mouth dropped. From across the room I could see him say, “You’ve got to be kidding me?!” and I gleefully clapped by hands like a giddy child.              

                When I sat down at the table, he asked “How the hell did you pull this off?”

                Laughing, I said “The logistics aren’t what’s important. What’s important is do you like your surprise?”

                “I love it,” the shock still evident on his face.

                The kitchen doors swung open and Guy came strolling out in a wacky blue and green apron, his hear newly bleached and full of hair gel. He was followed by an entourage of chefs dressed in stark white aprons, their hands filled with plates of juicy spare ribs with pineapple and orange and colorful salads. More people followed with trays of crab cakes with a decadent sauce and bowls of creamy bisque. The smell that filled the air was orgasmic and everybody eagerly anticipated taking their first bite.

                Guy took a seat next to us at the table and entertained us with his vibrant personality and easygoing demeanor. He told us about his famous red convertible breaking down in small town Kansas and about the cookey people he’s met along the way. He told us how blessed he feels to be able make a living in food, his greatest passion. He said he doesn’t get a chance to cook as much as he’d like and he was happy to cook for us that night. We were all invited to the taping of “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” tomorrow at Nicky’s. His company was almost as good as the food. Almost.

1 comment:

  1. Thank god, I just ate lunch--otherwise, I'd be feeling very hungry. As it is, I AM feeling sorry for myself. I mean, my lunch was a turkey and cheese on rye. Give me some of those ribs, scallops, and crabcakes!

    :(

    You do a wonderful job making a tiny bit of real and whole lot of fantasy sound very much like a series of events that actually happened. Put it this way: you make it sound exactly as likely as the Texas Roadhouse, a compliment to the quality throughout.

    I hope #3 is definitely in your future, and when it happens, I expect an invitation.

    ReplyDelete