Saturday, February 4, 2012

Prompt Week Three: A Conversation With Myself

It was a lazy Sunday morning; the sky was grey and with the wind whipping outside my window, it was safe to assume it was too cold to go outside. I was curled up in bed, my cat Sasha snuggled up against my legs; her soft snores were the only thing I could hear in the comforting silece of early morning. My stomach grumbled but I forced my hunger out of my mind, unwilling to leave the comfort of my bed and the mountain of pillows surrounding me. The dog next door yipped happily and I thought it would be fun to get a puppy. “Maybe something from the Humane Society…” I thought. “Nothing too big, something that can still sit in my lap.”
 “Not tooo small,” as I thought about my friend Meaghan’s Chihuahua, Cortez. “He’s so afraid of everything. All he does is shake, with his skinny, little tail between his legs anytime you go near him,” and I pictured his four pound frame shaking like a leaf, his soft brown eyes bugging out of his pointy head displaying his nervous excitement. I felt bad for my judgments of Cortez. “He really is the sweetest dog ever though… Such a little cuddlebug. He used to lay in my lap for hours…he used to get so excited to see me that he would pee all over the floor! That's like the greatest compliment a dog can give you.”

I was getting confused, the only thing I was sure of was that I wanted my dog to have good bladder control, no matter how happy he was to see me. “Maybe finding a puppy is just like finding a husband. When you meet them, you know it’s meant to be. I probably won’t know what kind of dog is perfect for me until I meet him,” and my confusion melted away as I crossed my fingers I’d have better luck finding the perfect dog than I had in the romance department.

“Wait. I used to have a vision of my perfect dog in my head. He’s all white and looks like a Husky, except he’s miniature. Like an adorable Husky puppy that never grows up,” and decided it was important to keep in mind what I always dreamed of. “It’s not a bad thing to know what you want….Or is it more important to stay flexible and open-minded? Sometimes if you’re too picky you miss out on some great things,” and the numerous intelligent, good-looking men I’ve overlooked because they didn’t meet my ridiculous criteria popped into my mind. “Probably should have given some of them a chance,” I mumbled as Sasha stretched her body gracefully next to me. Absentmindedly, I reached out my hand to pet her.

Sasha wouldn’t really like a dog,” I though as she purred loudly, thoroughly enjoying her morning massage. “She despised Rocky and Cortez. She never even came out when they were around,” and my decision was made. “My princess wouldn’t be happy with a puppy; it would be so unfair to her to have a dog around when she’s so afraid of them.” As if Sasha read my mind, she began to purr louder as she looked up at me with her wide green eyes thanking me for making the right decision.  

 “Besides, I don’t even think the make dogs like that. I’ve never seen a full grown, miniature, all white Husky. I’ll never find what I want. It doesn’t exist...”


3 comments:

  1. Better tell Sasha not to get too comfortable yet:

    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskankleekai.htm

    Scroll down for the all-white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THESE ARE SO CUTE!! I never knew they existed, thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. I like the conversation with yourself--usually these conversations are sort of hard cop/soft cop but you avoid the worst of the meanness to yourself that some other writers revel in and that gives a balanced, quiet tone to the piece.

    ReplyDelete