Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week Two Prompts: The Things I've Kept.....

Underneath two boxes of summer clothes, a printer that doesn’t work, and a Play-station there is a box in my closet.  The box tells the story of my life; it holds my hopes and dreams, my heartache and fears. Filled with poorly taken pictures on disposable cameras, journals, and school yearbooks, the evolution of my life is crammed into a sturdy tomato box. It contains love letters I never sent and tear spattered pages, evidence of a broken heart. Love letters I've received from boys I thought I loved before I knew what love was. The box reminds me of memories I wish I could forget and conjures up regrets of losing the person I used to be. It makes me proud of the woman I am today and is a source of strength, always there to remind me where I came from and who I wanted to be.

1 comment:

  1. "It contains love letters I never sent and tear spattered pages, evidence of a broken heart. Love letters I've received from boys I thought I loved before I knew what love was."

    What the reader looks for in a prompt like this is the goods--a list, specifics, the stuff we'd see if we peeked over your shoulder--the kind of material in that quotation above.

    ReplyDelete